Wednesday, September 06, 2006

 

Is our democracy in decline?

Do a google search for "is our democracy in decline" and you get 15.9 million hits.

It is a topic of great discussion among bloggers and media types. Special interest groups seem to be chirping about the topic too. But what about the common American citizen? Do they think our democracy is in decline? If Americans do think it is in decline, they are not acting with any type of urgency about fixing the problem. Heck, voter turnout of 10% does not suggest to me a high interest in our democracy?

What can be done? I know this much, there is not a magic bullet or easy solution. I've had some calls from groups to come and speak about this issue and public issue forum available on the topic of revitalizing democracy. The funny thing is that everyone seems to want a speech that is 20 or 30 minutes long and comes with a solution.

I don't have a solution. Do you?

I'm guessing that the answer comes one person and one community at a time. Have you started a discussion about democracy in your community? If so, let me know about it.
Comments:
I've tried to have discussions on this topic but people are so divided. If you don't agree with them then forget it. There seems to be a continual struggle for power instead of a continual struggle to make America better. I think the news media contributes to this some. Talk shows like Oprah contribute to the problem and so do, frankly, many blogs.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?